What could be more embarrassing than bad breath? Also known as halitosis, this issue can be a major hindrance to your social life. Don’t let this issue have a negative impact on your quality of life, especially since routine homecare can often help you enjoy fresher breath. There are a number of ways you fight bad breath!
Fight Bad Breath!
- Watch What You Eat: Onions, garlic, and other foods with powerful odors can make the onset of halitosis more likely. Cutting back on these items can help control the issue. In addition, drinks that can cause dry mouth, such as coffee or soda, can also lead to issues with freshness.
- Brush Your Teeth: When you brush your teeth, you remove food particles from your teeth, preventing bacteria from breaking them down. This also limits the amount of plaque that forms on the teeth, as plaque buildup (a bacterial byproduct) can lead to bad breath. You should be brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time.
- Always Floss: When you floss, you reach the spaces between the teeth that a toothbrush’s bristles simply can’t reach. You should always floss every night before going to bed.
- Don’t Forget Your Tongue: Often, our tongue can be a source of halitosis. You should brush your tongue, either with a toothbrush or a tongue scraper. A tongue scraper has been shown to remove more bacteria and as a consequence, combat bad breath better.
- Undergo Routine Cleanings: Every six months you should see us for a dental cleaning. A cleaning allows our team to completely remove plaque from your teeth and then polish them. If you have any further questions about keeping your breath fresh, then contact our team today.
ABOUT YOUR GLENCOE, IL, COSMETIC DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and our highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including: Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at 847-259-8030.